Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Fashion Illustration


I've been after my 14-year old daughter Tiana to take a fashion illustration course since last September. I still can vividly remember some fashion design sketches she drew several years that just blew me away. She hasn't done much drawing since then, but I know she has talent and definitely has an interest in fashion. The New York Fashion Academy, which is located in Old Ballard (not far from our house) each quarter offers a full range of fashion-related courses and though the overall focus of the school is more in the vocational realm, I talked to the teachers and we all felt that Tiana would do just fine with the introductory course.

I had sort of given up hope that Tiana would ever agree to take the class, especially if none of her friends could take it with her. And besides, she is playing softball 2-3 times a week now and has just joined up with the local cheerleading squad, so she is reasonably busy. I was very pleased, however, and quite surprised, when she told me a couple weeks ago that she would take the course.

Last night was her first class. They'll meet every Monday for 2-1/2 hours for the next month and then she can go on to more advanced classes, if she wants. She said last night went fine, even though she was the youngest in the class by about ten years. I'm looking forward to seeing how her interest and talents evolve in the next four weeks. The accompanying pic is a scan of some sketches she made last night, which we can sort of use for a baseline. I'll try to post something that she has drawn after every class.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent drawings! The kids are so much better artists than we ever were (OK, than I ever was). Maybe she can do some for our wall, I just hate to take those old drawings off our closet doors. It'll be fun to watch her drawings change.